Haitian football president pleads innocence over sexual abuse claims

first_img(CMC) – SUSPENDED president of the Haitian Football Federation (FHF), Yves Jean-Bart, said Wednesday that he expects to be exonerated and reinstated at the end of ongoing sexual abuse investigations that triggered FIFA to provisionally ban him from the sport.Announcing the decision which took immediate effect on Monday, football’s world governing body said Jean-Bart, also known as ‘Dadou’, would not be allowed to take part in any national or international football-related activities for 90 days.It is alleged that within the last five years, Haiti’s 73-year-old football boss coerced several underage females at the country’s national training centre in Croix-des-Bouquets into having sex.Jean-Bart, who is under investigation by the juvenile protection brigade of the Haitian judicial police, has denied the allegations.His spokesperson issued a statement on Wednesday describing the allegations as baseless and politically motivated.“While Jean-Bart continues to unequivocally deny the baseless allegations against him, he will comply with FIFA’s provisional suspension – which is a standard practice of the ethics committee – and expects full exoneration and reinstatement once the investigation concludes,” it said.“Fully transparent from the start, the federation and its president were actually the first to issue requests for inquiries by the Haitian judicial system, as well as the respected human rights group Réseau National de Défense des Droits Humains, in order to prove that the despicable, politically motivated allegations against him have no truth.”The statement added that the FHF had even previously asked FIFA to send experts from the FIFA Guardians/Child Safeguarding Programme to verify the conditions at the national youth training facility and to do its own investigations.Meanwhile, Jean-Bart, who has served as FHF president for two decades and was elected to a sixth term in February, has filed a public defamation lawsuit against a blogger who published anonymous accusations against him.last_img read more

Continue Reading

UFC Phoenix: Timing was right for Cain Velasquez to end his hiatus

first_imgAll he’s thinking about is walking to the Octagon on Sunday night, handling his business and getting his hand raised.“That’s what I’ve been visualizing every since I was approached with this fight,” said Velasquez. “When I’m not training, I’m thinking of the different scenarios I could get into out there against Francis and in each scenario, it’s me winning. I’m always visualizing and putting myself in a packed arena, in the toughest fight of my life against a dangerous opponent and getting my hand raised at the end.“I have to do the right things out there in order for that to happen, but I’ve been training the right things for my entire training camp and I know what to do when I get out there with Francis,” he added. “I’ve just got to go out and perform; it’s that simple.” When you have as extensive an injury history as Cain Velasquez does, everyone assumes that any extended hiatus has to be health related.It’s an understandable, even reasonable, assumption to make as the American Kickboxing Academy product has fought just twice in the more than five years since he wrapped up his trilogy with Junior dos Santos in emphatic fashion at UFC 166. Injuries delayed his title defense against Fabricio Werdum and played a part in him losing the title to the Brazilian veteran before scuttling a pair of proposed rematches between the two, most recently at the end of 2016.Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearBut as the former heavyweight champion readies to end an almost 1,000-day layoff this weekend on ESPN when he takes on Francis Ngannou, the returning veteran wants to make it clear that his latest hiatus has been by choice, not by force, as he focused on family and finding the perfect moment to return.“The time off to heal everything up was good, but that was a short time of the time off,” began Velasquez, who last stepped into the Octagon at UFC 200 when he picked up a first-round stoppage win over Travis Browne. “I got to be with my wife throughout the pregnancy, which I wasn’t able to do with our first child and being able to do that now was great.“Nobody gets to do that — gets to take that much time off to be with their family — and I got to be there for the entire first year of my son’s life,” added the proud papa. “Being there for my family in general and being home was something that I never got to do before and it was something that I feel I needed, physically and mentally; to just step away from the sport and take my time coming back.”A ferocious competitor, Velasquez used to push himself too hard, often rushing to return from the various injuries and surgical procedures that forced him to the sidelines, never quite taking the full amount of time needed to recover.He’d get close and have a setback; fight once and then have to deal with another tear or strain, bones spurs or back pain.Every time, he’s hustle back to the gym, eager to resume training, to return to the cage and remind everyone of how dominant he could be inside the Octagon, but not this time.In addition to taking a full year off in order to spend time with his growing family, Velasquez wanted to wait for the right opportunity to present itself.His performance against Browne at UFC 200 made it clear that he was still capable of competing at the highest level, as he returned from a 13-month absence like it was nothing. He looked like the same fighter who rose to the top of the division in just nine fights; the guy who permanently broke Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva’s will and who mauled dos Santos so thoroughly in their second and third encounters that it took “Cigano” several years to fully recover.With that experience in his back pocket, the former champion was content to wait for the right opportunity to come across the table.And then the UFC offered him a fight with Ngannou this weekend in Phoenix.“I’ve always been the guy that tried to rush and come back as soon as possible, but I took a different approach and just stepped back for a while, which was good,” said Velasquez, who wrestled at Arizona State and will be competing on familiar ground on Sunday. “We got approached for this fight here in Phoenix and for me, it was a no-brainer, and then to fight against somebody like Francis — he poses a lot of threats, but it’s a fight I feel confident in. The venue and the opponent was a match for me, so I thought it was perfect time for me to come back.”The timing also works out nicely for the UFC as well.Not only does Velasquez end up headlining the company’s first full event on ESPN — an opportunity that the returning heavyweight views as a sign that the company still holds him in high regard — but he always walks right back into the thick of the title chase as well.Although his close friend, training partner and current UFC heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has delayed his retirement plans for the time being, “DC” won’t be sticking around for too much longer and adding the two-time champion back into the title mix is the jolt of electricity the division needed.But for now, Velasquez isn’t thinking about the rankings, the title, Cormier’s future or his own next move.Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearlast_img read more

Continue Reading

Wellington Rec Rap for April 1 – April 13, 2013

first_imgThere will be a RedLine on April 6th for middle schoolers, instead of the 5th because of the John Michael Montgomery concert. It will be held at the Memorial Auditorium. The Mom & Son Bowling Party will take place Friday, April 12th at Meadow Lanes Bowling Alley for moms and sons, 4 years old thru 5th grade. Register online or at the WRC. A Paintball Trip is planned for Saturday, April 27th for 6th-12th graders. Bus leaves from the WRC at 12:15 pm and returns at 5:30 pm. Marcine GoodrumAssistant SuperintendentWellington Recreation Commission620-326-3323www.wellingtonrec.com Submitted to Sumner Newscow — Wellington Rec Rap for April 1 to April 13:Get your tickets to see John Michael Montgomery in concert at the Grand Re-Opening of Memorial Auditorium this Friday, April 5th! General Admission and  Reserved Tickets are available at the Rec Center and the Chamber office.Sign up for Swim Team Stroke Refinement through the WRC. The pre-season training takes place thru Sunday, April 28th at the SW College Indoor Aquatic Center. A dance for middle schoolers, Spring Fling Dance will be held at the WRC on Saturday, April 13th. Spring Into Fitness at the Fitness Center! Buy a one month Membership and get the 2nd for 1/2 price. Valid thru April 30th. The 4th session of Goju-Ryu Karate will be held at the WRC Tuesdays and Saturdays, April 2nd-30th. Registrations are still open for the Recreational League of Cal Ripken Baseball and Babe Ruth Softball with a late fee. Divisions include 9 & 10 year olds and 11 & 12 year olds.last_img read more

Continue Reading