Root excited to work with new coach and hopes Test cricket will be priority

first_imgJOE Root is eager to begin working alongside a new England coach with Gary Kirsten still the firm favourite to succeed Trevor Bayliss.Kirsten was initially thought to be out of the picture, due to the touring demands of the job and his recently-agreed role with Welsh Fire in the Hundred, but the England and Wales Cricket Board have been willing to remove both hurdles.England are open to allowing assistant coaches to take an expanded role to allow the top man a less prohibitive schedule and the ECB may be tempted to use a vacancy in the Hundred to appoint an aspiring English coach such as Marcus Trescothick.Kirsten, who had a fine track record with South Africa and India, could be appointed as early as next week if talks continue to go smoothly, while two members of Bayliss’ backroom team – Chris Silverwood and Graham Thorpe – have shown interest in stepping up to the top job.The experienced Graham Ford has also been linked, but reports suggest former England captain and current Surrey chief Alec Stewart has now withdrawn.As Test captain, Root is not directly involved in the process, with director of cricket Ashley Giles in charge of making the appointment, but he has run the rule over the candidates and likes what he has seen.“I’ve been made aware of who has been going in for interview and some of those candidates are really exciting. You look at the list and I’m thrilled with the names involved,” he said.“There’s a lot of noise around certain individuals but the group have all done special things and could bring good things to English cricket. Ashley has got an exciting but difficult decision to make. That’s not my pay grade.“The sooner the better but ultimately I think Ash is just desperate to make the right decision.“One thing you always want from a new coach is a bit of energy and a slightly different way of going about things. Trevor did a brilliant job managing English cricket but I’m sure whoever comes in will want to put their stamp on it quite early.“Personally I’m looking forward to Test cricket being slightly more of a priority than it has been for the past few years.” (PA Sport)last_img read more

Continue Reading

Syracuse’s NCAA tournament hopes hang in balance after being crushed by North Carolina

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ On March 14, 1998, Syracuse played Maryland in the first Division I women’s lacrosse game for SU. The Orange allowed 21 goals, the most it has ever given up. In the 397 ensuing games for Syracuse since, that’s happened on just one more occasion: Boston College’s win to knock Syracuse out of last year’s NCAA tournament. That was until Thursday.No. 19 Syracuse (9-9, 1-6 Atlantic Coast) fell to No. 5 North Carolina (13-3, 6-1), 21-12, in the first round of the ACC tournament in Durham, N.C. UNC’s eight-goal margin at the end of the first half was simply too much for the Orange to overcome. A bubble team heading into the conference tournament, SU will have to wait more than a week to find out its NCAA tournament fate.“They’re a very good team, they rode hard,” SU head coach Gary Gait said. “They hustled their butts off and made some plays.”UNC had frequent opportunities. The Tar Heels had tallied 29 shots, including 23 on goal, where Syracuse starting goalie Asa Goldstock lasted just more than six minutes, allowing seven goals, before being pulled. If not for stellar play from SU freshman Hannah Van Middelem in goal, including multiple saves that came off of point-blank shots and nine total first-half saves, the Orange could have trailed by an even wider margin at halftime. “We know (Van Middelem’s) a great young goalie,” Gait said. “Asa (Goldstock’s) been playing well, though, so she hasn’t been able to play much.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textFive players scored for the Tar Heels in the first half, all with at least two goals. Ela Hazar put up a hat trick and three assists, and Jamie Ortega added her own hat trick. UNC dominated the first half draw, 13-8. The Tar Heels caused nine first-half turnovers by SU, compared to zero caused by the Orange. The rout was on from the opening whistle.“They got after it early,” Gait said. “And again, we couldn’t clear the ball. Made a lot of mistakes, lot of turnovers. And you give a team like that to play offense, they’re going to score goals, and they did.”UNC scored the game’s first three goals before Syracuse could notch one. Then, the next four went to North Carolina as well, before SU added its second. Four more to the Tar Heels, and the game was 10-2 in favor of UNC less than 16 minutes in. Even with the Orange scoring four of the next five goals, that deficit was insurmountable. In the second half, the Tar Heels kept on coming. Ortega finished with six goals. UNC’s goalies combined to save eight of SU’s 20 shots on goal, plenty to back up a powerful offensive showing. SU’s only form of life on offense came from Emily Hawryschuk, who finished with five goals to push her to 54 for the season. The sophomore scored the first goal of the second half to try to give the Orange life. But what was still a seven-goal deficit then never got closer.“We scored on a decent number of our opportunities,” Gait said. “… We just didn’t get many shots.”After Syracuse’s last regular season game — a win over Louisville on Sunday — SU head coach Gary Gait thought back to the Orange’s regular-season matchup with North Carolina a few weeks ago. Syracuse lost by nine goals in the Carrier Dome with what, Gait said, was “flat” play right from the outset. The Orange had scored the final 11 goals of its Senior Day game. But Gait warned that on Thursday against UNC, it would be a new game and that he hoped SU would avoid coming out flat. Unfortunately for the Orange, the result wouldn’t be any different.Now, all Syracuse can do is wait. The NCAA tournament selection show was on May 7 last year, more than a week away, although the NCAA hasn’t updated the date for this year’s selection. Regardless, SU can’t make any more statements on the field. “We wait a week, get ready, and see what happens,” Gait said. “… Try and make sure we’re ready and if we get a chance to play in the tournament, we’re ready and we get a better result than we did here today.” Comments Published on April 26, 2018 at 8:16 pm Contact Billy: wmheyen@syr.edu | @Wheyen3last_img read more

Continue Reading

“Travnik Night Race” to take place again this Year

first_imgThe “Travnik night race” will be organized for the third time in a row by the Youth Education Center, under the general sponsorship of Pharmamed Ltd. The first night race in BiH is already becoming traditional, and there is an increasing number of runners and recreationalists who do not want to miss this great event every year.“The race is known as the” biggest small race” in BiH and abroad. Although it is “only” five kilometers long, many runners are ranking it among big races because of its uniqueness and high level of organization, which we are trying to maintain and even improve every year. The route of the race goes along the city core of Travnik, right next to its most beautiful monuments, and it has a special atmosphere since it is taking place in the evening hours,” as noted by organizers.The “Travnik night race” has become a great event for the entire family. Last year, we organized the race for chldren under the auspices of Helen Doron SBK LC for the first time, and around 300 children between 4 and 11 years of age took part in the race. We are planning to repeat this beautiful story again this year and give our children a unique gathering and lots of fun.A total of 700 runners from all over BiH, and abroad, took part in this race last year, which is the maximum number of participants. This shows the recognition of this race not only in our country, but in the region and Europe as well. To recall, winners of the last year’s race were Lucia Kimani in the female category, and Osman Junuzovic in the male category.Anyone interested can register for participation in the race, both professional and recreational runners, and you can submit your application on the website http://travniknocnautrka.ba/where you can also find all the neccessary information about the race.(Source: klix.ba)last_img read more

Continue Reading

Wellington Rec Rap for April 1 – April 13, 2013

first_imgThere will be a RedLine on April 6th for middle schoolers, instead of the 5th because of the John Michael Montgomery concert. It will be held at the Memorial Auditorium. The Mom & Son Bowling Party will take place Friday, April 12th at Meadow Lanes Bowling Alley for moms and sons, 4 years old thru 5th grade. Register online or at the WRC. A Paintball Trip is planned for Saturday, April 27th for 6th-12th graders. Bus leaves from the WRC at 12:15 pm and returns at 5:30 pm. Marcine GoodrumAssistant SuperintendentWellington Recreation Commission620-326-3323www.wellingtonrec.com Submitted to Sumner Newscow — Wellington Rec Rap for April 1 to April 13:Get your tickets to see John Michael Montgomery in concert at the Grand Re-Opening of Memorial Auditorium this Friday, April 5th! General Admission and  Reserved Tickets are available at the Rec Center and the Chamber office.Sign up for Swim Team Stroke Refinement through the WRC. The pre-season training takes place thru Sunday, April 28th at the SW College Indoor Aquatic Center. A dance for middle schoolers, Spring Fling Dance will be held at the WRC on Saturday, April 13th. Spring Into Fitness at the Fitness Center! Buy a one month Membership and get the 2nd for 1/2 price. Valid thru April 30th. The 4th session of Goju-Ryu Karate will be held at the WRC Tuesdays and Saturdays, April 2nd-30th. Registrations are still open for the Recreational League of Cal Ripken Baseball and Babe Ruth Softball with a late fee. Divisions include 9 & 10 year olds and 11 & 12 year olds.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Aussies looking beyond their backyard

first_imgFewer Australians planning a domestic trip in 2013. Image: VisitVictoria. Source = e-Travel Blackboard: N.J Australian landmarks and cultural experiences are failing to entice Aussies to travel domestically, according to a new study.Roy Morgan research found the number of Australians intending to take a domestic holiday this year fell two percent compared to last year from 57 percent to 55 percent.Despite the dip, intentions to visit Victorian destinations increased, with 7.2 percent of Australians intending to visit the state in 2013, ahead of Sydney and Gold Coast, both sitting at 4.3 percent. Meanwhile, international holiday intentions remain steady this year at ten percent. last_img read more

Continue Reading