LAFD(LOS ANGELES) — A 13-year-old boy was found alive this morning after falling through a wooden plank on Sunday and being washed away into a network of drainage pipes in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Fire Department said.Jesse Hernandez, who was scared, cold and hungry when he was found, is “alert and talking,” the fire department said.Jesse was rescued early this morning after being trapped in the pipe system overnight.The accident happened at about 4:30 p.m. local time on Sunday when the boy fell about 25 feet into a sewer pipe, the fire department said.Jesse’s family was picnicking nearby as part of its annual Easter tradition before the boy went missing, fire department official said. The fire department told ABC station KABC in Los Angeles that Jesse and his friends had climbed over a chain-link fence near Griffith Park and entered an abandoned maintenance shed. Jesse then fell after a wooden plank he was standing on gave way.The pipes, which run parallel the Los Angeles River and cross under freeways, are 4 feet in diameter, the fire department said. The pipes are filled with 2 feet or more of liquid that moves at 15 mph, the fire department said.Teams from the Los Angeles Fire Department, Los Angeles Police Department, California Highway Patrol and experts from the Bureaus of Sanitation, Engineering and Contract Administration were among the officials who worked to analyze the 6,400-feet pipe system and conduct the search.Cameras used to inspect pipes for repair were employed as part of the rescue effort, the fire department said.The fire department, working with the Bureau of Sanitation, pinpointed the search area to a one-mile radius, and intelligence then narrowed the search down to a 6,400-foot section of pipe, LAFD Captain Erik Scott told ABC News.That’s where rescuers opened a maintenance hatch and found Jesse, who was scared, cold and hungry, Scott said. Jesse saw a glimpse of light when the sewage hatch was opening, Scott said. He commended the teen for being smart enough to stay by the light.As rescuers checked his vitals, crew members handed him a phone to call his mother, who was relieved to hear his voice, Scott said.Scott said crews were extremely concerned that Jesse wouldn’t be found safe due to the fall and the hazardous material inside the pipes. Scott said he has never seen so many men hold back their tears when they saved the teenager.Jesse was taken to a hospital to be evaluated, the fire department said.“We would like to thank the entire Hernandez family for their patience and optimism,” the department said. “From start to finish, this was an unprecedented team effort and the LAFD would like to recognize the excellent teamwork among all agencies involved.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Authorities are reporting that students at Grassy Waters Elementary School in West Palm Beach were fingerprinted after school administrators found a kitchen knife in a student’s backpack.According to the report, the incident occurred earlier this week in a 5th grade classroom.Officials did not say how the knife was discovered, however, they did report that none of the students in the classroom would claim the backpack or the knife.Authorities then circulated small pieces of paper to students in the classroom and had each student put their fingerprints on the paper.Officials say those fingerprints have since been destroyed and that police had no true intention of using the fingerprints as part of the investigation.The Principal of the school has since sent out a notice to parents apologizing for the incident and saying it is “not something that the school district condones.”The police department is currently investigating both the discovery of the knife and the handling of the situation.
The National Communications Network (NCN) on Monday inked a deal with DIRECTV, to become the official Broadcast rights holder for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, set for Russia, from June 14 – July 15.Lennox Cornette, NCN’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and Bernard Pantin, DIRECTV’s Caribbean and Latin America Director, placed their ‘John Hancock’ on the document to solidify the deal at NCN’s Homestretch Avenue studios.At the signing, which was broadcast live on NCN’s Channel 11, Cornette said the 2018 World Cup, the world’s largest sporting event (behind the Olympic Games), will be viewed by more Guyanese than ever before, with the company (NCN) expanding their reach to the hinterland and other outlying regions.According to Cornette, the investment is a testimony to NCN truly being Guyana’s largest broadcasting company, and affording all Guyanese the right to proper programming and the world’s biggest events.Meanwhile, Pantin said regional broadcasters, over the years, have been weary of pirated events and have been reluctant to invest. However, this time around, he added DIRECTV has ensured that those rights holders will be protected and lauded NCN for the deal.Pantin pointed out that with the FIFA World Cup being one of the events the world over is excited for, Guyanese, will for the first time, be guaranteed seeing the 32-team tournament in its entirety.Next year’s tournament will be the 21st FIFA World Cup. The tournament , which will be hosted by Russia will be the first World Cup held in Europe since 2006; all but one of the stadium venues are in European Russia, west of the Ural Mountains to keep travel time manageable.Of the 32 teams, 20 will be making back-to-back appearances following the last edition of the tournament in 2014, including defending champions Germany, while Iceland and Panama will both be making their first appearances at a FIFA World Cup.A total of 64 matches will be played in 12 venues located in 11 cities. The final will take place on July 15 in Moscow at the Luzhniki Stadium.
The same starting fifteen that lined out in the win over Waterford have been named to start at Cusack Park to face Limerick.There’s one change in the Limerick team for the match – Colin Ryan comes in at corner-forward in place of Kevin O’Brien.