French players united in defeat against Davis Cup overhaul

first_imgWill you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? This weekend marked the last time in the 118-year-old competition history that the final was played in a best-of-five matches format and over a three-day weekend. Starting next year, the top team event in men’s tennis will be decided with a season-ending, 18-team tournament at a neutral site.The International Tennis Federation believes this format, with matches played in best-of-three sets, will be more attractive to elite players who often pass on competing for their countries because of a crowded schedule. The French tennis federation supported the reform.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“I’m extremely sorry because of the ITF decision,” doubles specialist Pierre-Hugues Herbert said. “It was the last true Davis Cup.”Herbert’s partner, Nicolas Mahut, said he spoke with ITF David Haggerty immediately after the final to express his discontent. “I believe he understood very well what I wanted to say,” said Mahut, without giving details. Lucas Pouille, who was thrashed in straight sets by Marin Cilic on Sunday a year after he wrapped up France’s 10th title, said he would not play in the Davis Cup anymore.“Last year I was crying of joy, this year I was crying because I was sad,” Pouille said. “I’m not going to change my mind about the new format. As far as I’m concerned, I’m not going to play in the Davis Cup anymore. That was the last time.”The ITF said it expects the new format will help generate more money for tennis development around the world. A $3 billion, 25-year deal has been agreed by the ITF with Kosmos, an investment group founded by the Barcelona defender Gerard Pique.Mahut claimed tennis stakeholders should have come up with better solutions.“There are other means to find money. The Grand Slams tournaments could have given some of their revenues and the Davis Cup would have been saved,” Mahut said. “We needed to find ways to lighten the schedule, we had so many good ideas to save that competition. There were other solutions.”ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View comments Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college MOST READ The French team, from the left, France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Pierre Hughes Herbert, Nicolas Mahut, Jeremy Chardy , Lucas Pouille and team captain Yannick Noah sing the national anthem before the Davis Cup final between France and Croatia Sunday, Nov. 25, 2018 in Lille, northern France. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)LILLE, France — French players don’t like the new Davis Cup format and they’re saying it loud and clear.After failing to defend their title this weekend in northern France in a 3-1 loss to Croatia, the French lashed out at future plans adopted earlier this year and Lucas Pouille said he would boycott the competition from now on.ADVERTISEMENT Cilic stays in control as Croatia wins Davis Cup Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. France’s Davis Cup captain Yannick Noah, who oversaw his last Davis Cup match this weekend and will be replaced by Amelie Mauresmo, is also a fervent opponent of the overhaul.“It will never be the same, it’s going to be something else,” said Noah, who guided France to three Davis Cup titles. “I really hope this is not going to be called the Davis Cup. Playing two sets is not the Davis Cup. They are lying. I told (Haggerty) to his face I’m disgusted and upset because this is the way I feel. The Davis Cup was so much for me.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA titlelast_img read more

Continue Reading

Man City £43m deal close, United land free agent, Saints swoop for £15m starlet

first_imgHere’s a round-up of all the top football headlines and transfer-related gossip from Thursday’s newspapers and online… 3 The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer 3 Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Latest Transfer News 3 three-way race Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ REVEALED Cardiff City have moved to beat West Brom to the £9million signing of Bristol City forward Bobby Reid. Albion were looking to offer £7m for Reid but Cardiff have proposed a deal worth up to £9m. The 25-year-old is due to undergo a medical and will be joined by QPR goalkeeper Alex Smithies as he looks to complete his £3.5m move from Loftus Road. (Daily Mail)Southampton are chasing Borussia Monchengladbach centre-back Jannik Vestergaard. The defender is regarded as one of the best young defenders in Germany and has established himself as a key part of the Monchengladbach side. (The Sun)Southampton are interested in signing Manchester City’s Angus Gunn in a deal that could reach £15million. The goalkeeper, who received his first England call-up last November, spent last season on loan at Norwich City in the Championship. (Daily Mail)David Brooks is due to undergo a medical on Thursday after Bournemouth agreed a deal for the Sheffield United midfielder. The 20-year old has three caps for Wales after making his international debut in November 2017. He’s scored three goals in 33 appearances for Sheffield United. (Sky Sports) targets center_img Ben Foster is looking to leave West Brom Jorginho’s agent claims the Napoli midfielder is close to finally completing his long-awaited £43million move to Manchester City. Joao Santos says he has already flown to England and is waiting for either Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis or their sporting director Cristiano Giuntoli to ring and give him permission to speak to the Premier League champions. (Daily Mirror)Manchester City will NOT be activating the buy-back clause in Aaron Mooy ‘s contract. The Australia midfielder has had an impressive World Cup for the Socceroos, sparking speculation that he might get a move from Huddersfield Town. But the Blues are not about to move for a player they sold to the Terriers last summer in a deal worth £10million. (Manchester Evening News) Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January targets Aaron Mooy won’t be returning to Manchester City LATEST moving on IN DEMAND The former England Under-21 goalkeeper Lee Grant looks set to move to Manchester United from Stoke City as the club’s new No 3 choice behind David de Gea and Sergio Romero. He is joining United on a free agent deal with the likelihood that he will sign a one-year contract. (Daily Telegraph)Wolves have turned down a £12million bid for winger Ivan Cavaleiro from fellow Premier League new boys Fulham. The Cottagers are the latest club to join the chase for the 24-year-old after Huddersfield Town were linked with a similar bid for the Portuguese star last week. (Express & Star)West Brom have rejected a £1million bid from Watford for goalkeeper Ben Foster. The 35-year-old is due to be disciplined by West Brom, along with defender Craig Dawson, after refusing to join the club’s training camp in Portugal on Tuesday. (Daily Mail) LIVING THE DREAM TOP WORK Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland RANKED Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signinglast_img read more

Continue Reading