Telegraph’s Christmas appeal raises over £1 million

first_imgTelegraph’s Christmas appeal raises over £1 million Howard Lake | 14 March 2007 | News About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. Tagged with: christmas Research / statistics The Telegraph Media Group’s 2006 Christmas Charity Appeal has raised over £1 million pounds from readers of The Daily and Sunday Telegraph newspapers and Telegraph.co.uk.William Lewis, Editor of The Daily Telegraph, will today be presenting donations from the appeal to its three beneficiary charities – SSAFA Forces Help, The Microloan Foundation and Chailey Heritage School.Lewis said: “We are thrilled to have raised such a phenomenal sum of money, for three extremely worthy charities. The generosity of The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph’s and online readers never ceases to amaze me, and I want to thank them on behalf of the Telegraph Media Group staff and the charities benefiting from the appeal”. Advertisementcenter_img  22 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis The appeal received a huge boost when Telegraph journalists took to the phones to take donation calls from readers. The phone-in alone raised nearly £120,000 from nearly 2,000 calls. William Lewis and Patience Wheatcroft, Editor of The Sunday Telegraph, joined staff including Hilary Alexander, Henry Winter and Telegraph Cartoonist, Matt, to handle the calls.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Detained human rights activists allege mistreatment at opening of trial

first_img BahrainMiddle East – North Africa March 17, 2021 Find out more Organisation News Reporters Without Borders is deeply concerned about the conditions in which Bahrain’s detained human rights activists are being held, and calls for an end to their mistreatment and for their families and lawyers to have access to them. Independent experts should also be allowed access in order to evaluate their state of health and the mistreatment allegations.The trial of a total of 25 human rights activists and opposition supporters who were arrested in August and September began on 28 October before a criminal court in Manama. At the end of the hearing, presiding judge Ibrahim al-Zayed ordered an adjournment until 11 November.The defendants are being prosecuted on more than ten different charges including terrorism and defamation but the original charge of plotting to overthrow the government has been dropped. They all pleaded not guilty.All the defendants, including bloggers Abdeljalil Al-Singace and Ali Abdulemam, complained of being denied access to their families and lawyers and being kept in solitary confinement. Defendants also told the court they had been tortured. They said they had been beaten and deprived of sleep since their arrests.Nazar Sadeq al Baharna, the minister responsible for human affairs, denied the allegations, insisting that Bahrain had a zero tolerance policy towards torture. The government issued a statement saying an expert examined 13 of the 25 defendants and found no sign of mistreatment other than “light marks” on the wrists caused by handcuffs.According to the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights, blogger Abdulemam told the court: “I was subjected to torture, beatings, insults and verbal abuse. They threatened to dismiss my wife and other family members from their jobs. I was interrogated without a lawyer and an officer who appeared to be from the National Security dismissed my denials. He never allowed me to respond to the questions he was asking, but rather answered them himself.”Blogger Al-Singace told the court that he had been subjected to “mental and physical” torture and that his interrogators threatened to rape members of his family. He also said he had been denied the medical care he needed and had been given no medicine although his health was deteriorating rapidly. International observers said only one relative of each defendant was allowed to attend the trial. Observers from Human Rights Watch, the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights and the Bahrain Human Rights Society were denied access to the courtroom.A large number of riot police, backed by helicopters, were deployed around the court building to prevent any demonstration in support of the defendants. News Follow the news on Bahrain BahrainMiddle East – North Africa RSF_en Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives German spyware company FinFisher searched by public prosecutorscenter_img October 14, 2020 Find out more to go further Tenth anniversary of Bahraini blogger’s arrest News News November 2, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Detained human rights activists allege mistreatment at opening of trial Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts June 15, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Continue Reading

Citigroup Starts to Show Distressed Consumers the Money

first_img Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Citigroup Consumer relief Settlements 2016-02-01 Brian Honea Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago About Author: Brian Honea Previous: Economic Uncertainty Is Not Dampening Housing for 2016, So Far Next: Freddie Mac Further Expands Credit Risk Sharing Initiatives February 1, 2016 1,371 Views Brian Honea’s writing and editing career spans nearly two decades across many forms of media. He served as sports editor for two suburban newspaper chains in the DFW area and has freelanced for such publications as the Yahoo! Contributor Network, Dallas Home Improvement magazine, and the Dallas Morning News. He has written four non-fiction sports books, the latest of which, The Life of Coach Chuck Curtis, was published by the TCU Press in December 2014. A lifelong Texan, Brian received his master’s degree from Amberton University in Garland. Tagged with: Citigroup Consumer relief Settlements Citigroup was credited with more than half a billion dollars in consumer relief toward fulfilling its obligation of $2.5 billion under the terms of a July 2014 settlement July 2014 settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice and five states for selling toxic residential mortgage-backed securities to investors before the financial crisis, according a report from an independent monitor.Settlement monitor Thomas Perrelli, a former associate U.S. attorney general and now a partner with Washington, D.C.-based law firm Jenner & Block, credited Citi with $512,456,710 in consumer relief for the period covering April 1, 2015, through June 30, 2015. The amount provided during Q2 2015 raised the cumulative total of consumer relief credited to Citi to $689,132,468, still less than a third of the settlement’s requirement of $2.5 billion. The bank has until 2018 to pay the remaining $1.8 billion. The report was Perrelli’s fourth since the settlement was reached and the first since September 2015.According to the monitor, Citi was credited with $512.4 million in consumer relief during Q2 2015 in three different categories or menu items: First lien principal forgiveness ($3.95 million covering 70 transactions); rate reductions/refinancing ($78.5 million covering 2,002 transactions); and principal forgiveness where foreclosure is not pursued ($430 million covering 10,260 transactions). Citi requested credit for relief for 91 loans to affordable rental housing projects with a purported valuation in excess of $500 million; the monitor is currently working with Citi to validate the credit that the bank has submitted for the 91 loans.Citigroup settled with the DOJ and five states (California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Delaware) for a total of $7 billion in July 2014 amid claims that the bank misled investors as to the quality of mortgage-backed securities it sold. The portion of the penalty that went to the DOJ was $4.5 billion, which was the largest civil penalty to date under the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act (FIRREA). Citigroup agreed to pay $2.5 billion in consumer relief as part of the settlement.Click here to see a complete copy of the settlement monitor’s January 2016 report. In the September 2015 report, the monitor credited the bank with $162.7 million in consumer relief for the period covering November 22, 2014, through March 31, 2015. Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days agocenter_img Share Save Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Citigroup Starts to Show Distressed Consumers the Money Home / Daily Dose / Citigroup Starts to Show Distressed Consumers the Money  Print This Post Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago in Daily Dose, Featured, Government, News Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Related Articles Subscribelast_img read more

Continue Reading

Manhunt in Polk County after Triple Murder at Campsite

first_imgPolk County officials are searching for suspects in the murder of three friends on a fishing trip.Around 10 pm Friday, 23-year old Damon Tillman arrived to the remote area to go fishing with his friends.Officials say as he was being beaten to death, 30-year old Keven Springfield and 27-year old Brandon Rollins showed up and were shot.Rollins called his dad, Cyril Rollins, who then showed up to the scene.Son calls fatherInvestigators are not revealing what the victim told his father on the phone before he died and whether or not he identified the killer or killers.last_img read more

Continue Reading