Teen pleads not guilty in Whittier shooting

first_imgDressed in a blue Los Angeles County Jail jumpsuit, a cuffed Campa appeared at his Wednesday arraignment at Norwalk Superior Court. He will be back in court Oct. 24 for a pre-trial hearing. Campa was being held at Men’s Central Jail, deputies said. The motive behind the Feb. 21 shooting hasn’t been revealed yet. The shooting occurred as a 15-year-old boy waited at a bus stop for a ride to school. Another teen rode up on a bicycle. Deputy District Attorney Brock Lunsford said the bicyclist pulled out what looked like a gun. The victim started running. NORWALK – A teen pleaded not guilty Wednesday to shooting a 15-year-old with a sawed-off shotgun at a bus stop. Deputies said after the shooting, the injured victim got on a bus and headed to school. Victor Campa, who turned 18 this month, is being tried as an adult in the Feb. 21 incident that occurred at Norwalk and Mines Boulevards in the unincorporated county area of Whittier. Prosecutors charged Campa with assault with a deadly weapon, possessing a sawed-off shotgun and being a minor in possession of a weapon. “He hears a shot. He feels burning in his back and arm,” Lunsford said. The younger teen was shot in the back and arm with shotgun pellets. Residents said they heard gunshots and screaming. A neighbor called Frontier High School and reported that a boy had been shot and boarded the bus on his way to school. Security guards at the school met the teen when he got off the bus. He was later taken by helicopter to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center. Two gang detectives spotted a teen matching the description of the shooter walking around the area. They searched his home in West Whittier and found a shotgun. However, Campa isn’t being charged with any gang allegation. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Continue Reading

TRANSFER REPORT: West Ham weighing up swoop for Belgian starlet

first_img Slaven Bilic 1 West Ham have enquired over the availability of Belgian prodigy Isaac Mbenza.The Valenciennes winger featured prominently for the Ligue 2 club last season, scoring seven goals and providing a further three assists.His displays caught the eye of scouts from the Premier League and, according to Foot Mercato, West Ham are ready to take a gamble on the 20-year-old.The only factor holding the Hammers back from making a bid is Mbenza’s lack of experience in a top-flight league but scouts are seeking to persuade Slaven Bilic to take a risk on the player.A Belgium youth international, Mbenza graduated from Valenciennes’ academy last year and was awarded with a three-year professional contract.last_img read more

Continue Reading