Jazz Is Phsh recently announced a fall/winter tour! The all-star jazz tribute, conceptualized and fronted by brothers Adam and Matt Chase, will be hitting the road November and December 2017 for a number of national tour dates. The band will open their tour with two early November dates in Georgia and Florida before heading to the West Coast with stops in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland. Late November into early December the band will make stops at some classic East Coast venues in addition to a date in Toronto, Canada. The East Coast leg of tour will culminate with the band’s penultimate show of the year at 5 Points Music Sanctuary in Roanoke, VA.December 30 Jazz Is Phsh will close out their 2017 at The Cutting Room in New York City as part of CEG Presents’ Phish Pre/After-Party series of concerts. Joining The Chase Brothers in Jazz Is Phsh for the evening will be members of Snarky Puppy and Trey Anastasio Band, along with some surprise guests. Tickets available here.To keep the exploration of the music fresh and exciting, The Chase Brothers employ a rotating cast of talented musicians both in their studio and live performances. Jazz Is Phsh’s debut album, He Never Spoke A Word, features Dennis Chambers, Jeff Coffin, Kofi Burbridge, Chris Bullock, Grant Green Jr., and Michael Ray among others. On their upcoming tour will be rotating members of Snarky Puppy, Trey Anastasio Band, Phish’s Giant Country Horns, Jeff Coffin’s Mu’tet, Tedeschi Trucks Band, and more.With Jaco Pastorius’ son, Felix Pastorius performing with the band on several upcoming shows as well as Jay Rodriguez, who performed with Miles Davis the authenticity of the jazz experience is intact for the fan of jazz fusion that may not be familiar with the repertoire of Phish.JAZZ IS PHSH // 2017 TOUR DATESNov 2 Smith’s Olde Bar – Atlanta, GANov 5 1904 Music Hall – Jacksonville, FLNov 16 The Mint LA – Los Angeles, CANov 17 MEZZANINE – San Fransisco, CA Nov 18 Nectar Lounge – Seattle, WANov 19 Bossanova Ballroom – Portland, OR Nov 30 Gypsy Sally’s – Washington, DCDec 1 ANTHOLOGY – Rochester, NYDec 2 Buffalo Iron Works – Buffalo, NYDec 3 Rivoli – Toronto, OntarioDec 7 World Cafe Live – Philadelphia, PADec 8 The 8×10 – Baltimore, MDDec 9 5 Points Music Sanctuary – Roanoke, VA Dec 30 The Cutting Room – New York, NY
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Fiji has deported the leader of the University of the South Pacific and his wife in a move that threatens to tear apart regional relationships. Vice-Chancellor Pal Ahluwalia says about 15 government agents surrounded their house at night and gave them minutes to pack before they were hastily deported to Australia. Ahluwalia says he’s been uncovering corruption at the university, but other administrators say there have been management lapses under his leadership. Fiji’s government has only cited violations of an immigration law that says foreigners cannot breach the peace and good government of Fiji. The University of the South Pacific is jointly owned by 12 countries and serves 28,000 students over a geographic area three times the size of Europe.
“We know that Morocco is an excellent team,” he told reporters.“We cant afford to relax… We need to be awake with our eyes open and be aware that Morocco aren’t going to give anything away.”The 2010 winners drew their opener 3-3 with European champions Portugal and, after making hard work of a narrow 1-0 win over Iran, they need at least a point to make the last 16 for the first time since that tournament.“It’s always tough against teams who are eliminated,” Hierro said. “Mathematically we have not yet qualified and we have to give the match the importance it deserves.”Morocco were the first team eliminated from Russia but coach Herve Renard on Sunday claimed his side had been on the wrong end of several refereeing decisions during successive 1-0 losses.“When you look at the facts in the Portugal game, it’s totally unfair,” Renard said.“For the goal we conceded, there was an obvious foul by (defender) Pepe at the front post. Why did (the referee) not see it?“It’s unfair that we’re already eliminated but we have to accept reality.”Spain midfielder Sergio Busquets said he had some sympathy.“Often football is not fair,” he told reporters. “It’s true that at the level they’ve been playing they deserve more than zero points. But it’s hard to win matches at this World Cup.”– ‘Not focused on past’ –Real Madrid midfielder Isco has impressed in Spain’s first two matches © AFP/File / Roman KruchininSpain dominated the international game for nearly a decade, winning an unprecedented Euro and World Cup treble between 2008-2012 with their brand of high-tempo, possession-based play anchored by the legendary Barcelona linchpin Xavi.But a new generation of playmakers are making their World Cup bow this time around, including young Real Madrid trio Isco, Lucas Vazquez and Marco Asensio.Hierro singled out Isco for praise after the midfielder’s impressive performances against Portugal and Iran.“Isco always contributes with his quality and hardwork, he’s good one on one, he can sneak between lines and he’s hard to pin down,” said Hierro, himself a Real alumnus.Depending on the Portugal result, a win or draw Monday would see Spain play either Russia or Uruguay from Group A in the second round — their first World Cup knockout game since winning the final in Johannesburg eight years ago.The build-up this time around was chaotic, with Hierro only given the head coach role two days before the Portugal tie after Julen Lopetegui’s spectacular sacking.Hierro said the squad were focused and eager to go far in the tournament after Spain’s disastrous first-round exit four years ago in Brazil.“You could focus on what happened four years ago or eight years ago,” he said.“These lads have been world and European champions. We’re not focusing on the past, now is the time to fight to win our group.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Spain coach Hierro has urged his players not to take Morocco lightly © AFP / OZAN KOSEKALININGRAD, Russian Federation, Jun 25 – Spain coach Fernando Hierro said Sunday his players would not make the mistake of underestimating a Morocco side playing for pride in their World Cup Group B decider in Kaliningrad.Spain need a result from Monday’s encounter and Hierro vowed his players would not take the North Africans lightly.
Story Highlights The JWPC has trained over 800 women in campaign management and candidacy over the years Twenty-one outstanding women honoured for their work in the Jamaica Women’s Political Caucus Twenty-one outstanding women have been honoured for their role in advancing the cause of women, through their work in the Jamaica Women’s Political Caucus (JWPC).The 21, who have made their mark in a wide cross section of fields in the society, were recognized for their yeoman service at the JWPC’s 21st anniversary awards luncheon, held at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel in Kingston, on Thursday, July 18.Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Portia Simpson Miller, in a message read by State Minister for Industry, Investment and Commerce, Hon. Sharon Ffolkes Abrahams, congratulated the women, noting that their recognition was a fitting way to celebrate the organisation’s 21st anniversary.“Today, we speak your names with pride into our nation’s history, so that generations to come will bless you as they continue to build on the foundation,” she said.The Prime Minister pointed out that the Jamaica Women’s Political Caucus has upheld the right of Jamaican women to be affiliated with the party of their choice.“Standing on that principle, it has led the way in mobilizing women to work together in a non-partisan model, in order to achieve the developmental goals that must be met if Jamaica is to take its rightful place in the global village,” she said.She noted that over the years the Caucus has never deviated from its vision of providing support for women to participate equally at the highest levels of decision making.Pointing to the JWPC’s objective of raising the number of female parliamentarians to at least 40 per cent of the total members of Parliament, a vision that is reflective in the United Nations and its member agencies, the Prime Minister said she was aware of the many systematic barriers that have prevented the country from reaching that goal.“However, I am also confident that through partnerships with civil groups, such as the Women’s Political Caucus, we can hope for a brighter future in line with the Millennium Development Goals, which include Gender Equality and the Empowerment of women,” Mrs. Simpson Miller said.She noted that the work of the Caucus over the years have been tireless and fruitful, pointing out that women venturing out into political careers now have an established and valuable resource for training, advice and other forms of support.In the meantime, President, JWPC, Merline Daley, noted that the organization continues to chip away at “the vast rock of inequality in regards to women’s right to hold positions of decision making in this country,” and will not stop until significant changes are realized.She pointed to the fact that women represent 51 per cent of the population, yet their representational percentage in the Parliament and the Parish Councils bear no relationship to that percentage. She also noted that women far outweigh men in terms of higher education, yet are passed over in favour of men.“This situation must change if Jamaica is to realize her fullest potential,” Ms. Daley said.She reported that the JWPC has trained over 800 women in campaign management and candidacy over the years.Among those honoured were Blossom O’Meally Nelson, Joan Browne, Merlene C. Daley, Beryl Ennis, Maisie Gore, Jeanette Grant Woodham, Maxine Henry Wilson, Gloria Langrin, Essene Lewis, Rev. Dr. Marjorie Lewis, Dorothy Lightbourne, Beverly Manley Duncan, Hermione McKenzie, Gloria Millwood, Violet Neilson, Dr. Beverley Pereira, Dorienne Rowan Campbell, Donna Scott Mottley, Evelyn Smart, Marie Thompson and Faith Webster.
San Francisco: After the raging success of Netflix’s original interactive choose-your-own-adventure film ‘Black Mirror: Bandersnatch’, Google-owned YouTube is now working on interactive shows and live specials. Following the traditional format of interactive shows, the content YouTube is planning would allow viewers to make their own choices throughout the show and eventually conclude an ending of their choice. The project is under the supervision of Ben Relles, former Head of YouTube’s unscripted programming, SlashGear reported on Tuesday. Also Read – Swiggy now in 500 Indian cities, targets 100 more this year Developers who create this kind of interactive content develop multiple storylines for the same show. To keep the story flow smooth, the different storylines are made to intersect at certain points, resulting in different potential endings for a single show, which once started, cannot be paused, rewinded or forwarded. With Bandersnatch that launched in December last year, Netflix became the first content platform to attempt an interactive entertainment aimed at adults. Also Read – New HP Pavilion x360 notebook with in-built Alexa in India Because of its design to keep viewers hooked watching and playing, Bandersnatch did not come with a set run-time. However, according to information available on public domains, it lasted for a peiod of 40-90 minutes roughly before getting to the end credits. While Netflix never revealed how many accounts accessed “Bandersnatch”, the multiple endings were a trending topic on all social networking platforms, including in India. YouTube is likely to announce new programmes next month. However, details about an official announcement of an interactive show or series remain unclear as of now, the report added.
Gurugram: Thirty-four people had filed the affidavits for the Gurugram Lok Sabha seat which was finally reduced to 24. The profile of the candidates is as varied and diverse as the largest Lok Sabha constituency that has a total of 21 lakh voters. Among the 24 candidates if there is a businessman who with the total assets of over 100 crores is not only the richest candidate from Gurugram but even Haryana, there is also a street vendor.Four-time MP from the area Rao Inderjit Singh derives his income from his investments in various commercial ventures and infrastructure companies. His Congress rival Captain Ajay Yadav also has the same source of income. Based on the affidavit, his family has an automobile showroom in Rajasthan. With assets worth 102 crores, Virender Rana of Indian National Lok Dal is an entrepreneur who runs his own firm in the city. Other candidates who have their own business interests are Raees Ahamed from the Bahujan Samaj Party and Hans Kumar, an independent who runs his own real estate firm. Mehmood Khan of Jan Nayak Janta party is a social entrepreneur. The youngest candidate from Gurugram is Pawan Kumar who is 30-year-old. He is contesting from Shiv Sena and is a school professor. Other people from service backgrounds involve Ramesh Chander who was in Haryana police and Jai Kawar Tyagi who is an ex-Army man. There are also candidates in the form of Abdul Latif and Kushehshwar Bhagat who have filed their candidatures independents so that they can lead more voice of the common man. While Abdul Latif is an automobile mechanic, Bhagat is a street vendor who has his stall in South Delhi’s Chattarpur area. Out of the 24 candidates who have participated in the democratic exercise, most of them are businessmen followed by social workers and retired servicemen. Interestingly, most of the candidates find their roots from Nuh area. With 20 per cent Meos, Nuh not only has the highest number of electorates but also is the most backward region in the country. Most of the independents are contesting in the elections for the first time.
Bordeaux – British magazine The Economist stated Algeria is in “desperate need of change in an article posted on Friday.”According to the magazine, Algerians are eager for change from their leaders, but afraid to ask for it. Many of them complain about the “lamentable lack of development” in the country and the frustration is wide-spread since the population does not benefit from the money generated by oil exports. Indeed, the unemployment rate remains exceptionally high, affecting almost 40 percent of the population, according to the same source.The young generation is desperate to leave the country. The Economist estimates most of the country’s 1.5 million students will struggle to find a job. Corruption is also weighing on the population who sees the richest families get away with fraud while they struggle to make ends meet. According to the same source, Algerians realize their opinion is not taken into account. When President Abdelaziz Bouteflika went to France between April and July to get treatment after his stroke, the civil society thought he was done and would never come back to the political scene. He did, however, come back and tightened security, granting even more powers to the army.If the population does suffer from the situation, Algerians seem wary of demanding change too loudly, even after seeing the political awakening across the Arab world in the past three years.According to the magazine, Algerians are grateful to Mr. Bouteflika for restoring calm to Algeria after the black decade of the 1990s. It states the media have become pretty free and the political space has slightly widened. It must be remembered, however, that the opposition, because of the great number of parties, is too weak to force the changes the population yearns for.The Economist’s analysis of the situation is that Algerians remain patient and wait for the ageing leaders to retire. Eventually, a new generation will come to power, loosen up politics and the economy, and bring in a more genuine multiparty system.© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed
New York Jets star cornerback Darrelle Revis responded Thursday on Twitter to the notion that Jets owner Woody Johnson is considering trading him during the offseason, leaving him “speechless.”“I’m speechless by far but more importantly I feel more upset for the jet nation for having to go through this!!!” Revis tweeted. “I guess we’ll see how this plays out.”Revis’ tweet came late Thursday evening after the Jets introduced their new general manager, John Idzik, Thursday morning at news conference. Idzik immediately found himself answering questions about trade rumors surrounding the highly touted cornerback.Idzik, who replaced Mike Tannenbaum, stressed to the media that it was too early to even discuss Revis’ situation, but emphasized every player on the roster is being evaluated. His evaluation includes highly publicized quarterbacks Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez. He declined to comment on their futures with the team.Coach Rex Ryan, Johnson and Idzik have previously called Revis the greatest player in the franchise, but now Johnson is looking to get the maximum return for Revis.“I’m not going to get into any of those specifics right now. Let’s let the process run its course,” Ryan said. “I’m confident that any decision made by this organization without question will be in the best interest of the team.”Revis, who missed a majority of last season due to an ACL injury, will become a free agent after 2013. But he cannot be franchise-tagged by the team because his contract prevents the team from doing so.During the 2010 preseason, Revis sat out to receive an extension on his original deal. The Jets gave him a four-year deal worth $46 million dollars.But things have quickly changed for Johnson, who only two years ago said it was the franchise’s goal to make Revis a Jet for life.“I gathered from Woody that, in his mind, (Revis) is gone,” a source told ESPNNewYork.com.Once Revis hits the free agent market, he is likely to demand the salary of a starting quarterback, which will be around $16 million per year. The Jets would be unable to meet his demands because they would be over the salary cap, thus making him an appealing bargaining chip now.The only dilemma with Johnson shopping Revis right now is that he is recovering from major knee surgery and teams may want to see how he recovers before making a deal.If Revis is traded, the Jets would be losing a big defensive playmaker.
Oregon was supposed to be doomed by Chris Boucher’s season-ending knee injury. South Carolina wasn’t supposed to go deep into the tournament, especially after the Gamecocks lost their first game in the SEC tournament, a quarterfinal matchup. So how’d these two programs end up in the Final Four? In the video above, FiveThirtyEight sports editor Chadwick Matlin walks us through their journeys and talks about just how improbable they’ve been.