‘Bartica Regatta ‘one of the biggest ever’ – Mayor

first_imgThere has been a “vast increase” in persons visiting this year’s Easter Regatta in Bartica, Mayor Gifford Marshall has said.The annual event took place over the Easter weekend. The mayor said this year’s Regatta is a step in the right direction towards growing Bartica’s tourism potential.“What we see happening this year is a demonstration of us coming together and working for one purpose; and that is: for a successful 2018 Regatta,” the mayor said.Dave Scott, RacerThousands of Barticians and visitors alike witnessed the powerboat races — feature events of the Regatta — on Sunday and Monday. The annual Miss Bartica Regatta and Road Jam, which were held on Saturday, were also main attractions over the weekend.Overseas-based Guyanese Headley Woodley and his family returned home to enjoy this year’s Regatta. “So far…my first experience. I love it!” he said, adding that he is willing to return.Powerboat Racer Dave Scott performed superbly in the races, taking the checkered flag twice on Sunday. He noted that the Regatta has something for everyone.Scores gathered at Golden Avenue Beach to take in the Regatta festivities“You could get fun with the boat, you could get fun with the jet-ski, you could swim, you could just come and lime. There’s a lot of things you can do,” Scott said. Visitors and residents alike took advantage of the variety of activities.There were those who were engrossed in the races, while others were out with families, flying kites and soaking in the sand and sun on the newly constructed boardwalk along Third Avenue Beach. Others were enjoying the entertainment under the pavilion.President Granger officially commissioned the boardwalk on Sunday. The Golden Beach Development Project cost some $40 million, and Mayor Marshall said the project will be expanded in the coming year.“Our aim is to ensure that, over the next two/three/four/five years, the next time patrons come visit the Bartica Regatta, it must have something different,” he said.Among those enjoying all that the Regatta had to offer was Bhaskar Sharma. The publisher and journalist from Canada was a first-timer to the Regatta. “It’s amazing, it’s a sight. I believe that this thing should be promoted in the diaspora,” he said.Team Manager of the Regatta Committee, Holbert Knights, said his team has successfully hosted “tremendous activities” leading up to the Easter weekend features.“We’ve had sports; our football had a record crowd; we had a top model segment at Aruwai [Resort] that was really good, too. We have a very, very strong team,” Knights boasted.Region Seven Chairman Gordon Bradford has commended the Bartica Business Development Association for successfully staging this year’s Regatta.“Regatta is a national event now, and we hope that with the Bartica Business Development Association, they can make it into a true international event,” Bradford said.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Blues ‘in talks to sign rising star’

first_imgChelsea are reportedly in talks to sign Lucas Moura, one of the rising stars of Brazilian football, who is understood to have a £66.8m release clause in his contract at Sao Paulo.AVB is keen on Hulk.The Daily Telegraph suggest Chelsea will not pay anywhere near that amount for the 19-year-old midfielder and are unlikely to table a bid before the transfer window closes, but may renew their interest during the summer.The Daily Mail report that Alex is close to completing his move to Paris St-Germain from Chelsea, whose owner Roman Abramovich has apparently blocked manager Andre Villas-Boas’ move for Porto striker Hulk after being quoted a world-record £83m.Willian has told The Sun he is desperate to leave Shakhtar Donetsk and sign for Chelsea.“Chelsea are known as one of the biggest and most successful clubs around,” said the Brazilian.“To play for them is a challenge I would accept and enjoy. If a deal doesn’t go through, I’ll understand. But I hope it happens.”French media yesterday reported that Nancy’s Mali international midfielder Samba Diakité is close to completing a loan move to QPR.Rangers boss Hughes has been linked with numerous players.The Mail pick up on this and add that Rangers are interested in Wigan’s Victor Moses.The Daily Mirror say QPR boss Mark Hughes is ready to launch a £4m bid for Moses’ Wigan’s team-mate Hugo Rodallega, whose contract expires at the end of the season. West Ham are also said to be interested.The Mirror also say QPR are monitoring Carlton Cole’s situation at West Ham and that Fulham are still interested in £7m-rated FC Twente winger Nacer Chadli.Finally, the Telegraph believe Anton Ferdinand will seek the advice of QPR chairman Tony Fernandes before deciding whether to shake John Terry’s hand before this weekend’s game against Chelsea.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Continue Reading

SA group to run African railways

first_img18 October 2005A consortium led by South African company Sheltam has won the concession to operate the railways of Kenya and Uganda. The Rift Valley Railway Consortium (RVRC) beat the last of its rivals, an Indian-led consortium, in its bid to operate the ailing Kenyan-Uganda railway system for the next 25 years.The 104-year-old railway is called the “Lunatic Express” by locals.The 25-year deal was signed in Nairobi on Friday. The seven year-long bidding process was overseen by the World Bank.Under the terms of the deal, the RVRC will pay an initial US$5-million fee and 11.1% of annual gross revenue per year thereafter.Sheltam bid $1-million for the passenger business, although the countries were ready to accept a negative bid, implying that they would subsidise the winner.“(The) winning proposal includes a turnaround and development programme for the two railway systems, expected to lead to a significant increase in freight traffic volumes within the first five years,” the selection commitee said in a statement.The consortium has committed itself to increasing traffic on the railway by 75% in the first five years.RVRC’s lead investor, the Sheltam Group of Companies, has a 61% share. Two other South african companies, Comazar Limited and the CDIO Institute for Africa Development Trust, together hold 14% of the consortium.Sheltam is a Port Elizabeth-based company with operations in South Africa, Zambia, Namibia and the Democratic Republic of Congo.Kenya’s deputy transport minister, Andrew Ligale, was quoted in Uganda’s Sunday Vison as saying the lease would provide significant financial relief to his government, which has been subsidising the railway for several decades and in the past three years has spent the equivalent of $40.6-million keeping it alive.A final agreement with the two governments is expected to be signed in November, with the consortium taking operational control of the railways by the end of March 2006.SouthAfrica.info reporterlast_img read more

Continue Reading

Brand South Africa’s provincial programme goes to the North West province

first_imgJohannesburg, Tuesday 10 November – Brand South Africa and a range of stakeholders in the North West will come together in Mahikeng on Wednesday 11 November 2015 to deliberate on the province’s competitive strengths.The North West programme is part of Brand South Africa’s provincial programme which aims to assess the ways in which provinces contribute to national competitiveness. In this regard, Brand South Africa has been engaging with various other provincial role players in the past year.The discussions in Mahikeng will be attended by representatives of government, business and civil society.Brand South Africa will also share with participants the nation brand corporate identity toolkit to enable a cohesive image of South Africa to be projected on a range of communication platforms.All inputs from the workshop will contribute to Brand South Africa’s efforts to position the country as a competitive investment destination.Media are invited to attend the workshop as follows:Date: Wednesday 11 NovemberTime: 09h00Venue: Mmabatho Palms Hotel, Nelson Mandela Drive, MahikengEnquiries/RVSP: Manusha Pillai on [email protected] 082 389 3587Follow the conversation on #CompetitiveSAlast_img read more

Continue Reading

Will Red Hat’s OpenStack Contributions Turn To Gold?

first_imgIt’s happening again. Red Hat, which for years has dominated both the development and monetization of Linux, has turned its code contributing hand to OpenStack, the popular open-source cloud computing project. While Red Hat initially fought OpenStack, today it has become OpenStack’s biggest contributor.This bodes well for Red Hat. And for OpenStack.Source Code Vs. Source Of CodeTo understand why, it’s important to understand how commercial open source works. In proprietary software, source code matters. A developer or company writes software, locks it up under a proprietary license and sells the right to use the software. Proprietary software licensing attempts to make digital goods sell like physical goods.But in open source, being the source of the source code matters most. Since open-source developers essentially give away software for free, the key to monetization lies in being known as the source of the code, such that one becomes known as the best source of support, updates and add-on components for the software in question. Red Hat has turned this open source development and distribution strategy into more than $1 billion each year in support for Linux, a project that it heavily influences by contributing roughly double what any other vendor contributes, as the Linux Foundation’s annual Linux development report states. It may not seem like much, but Red Hat’s contribution rate of 11.9% gives it outsized influence with prospective Linux customers. No other vendor is better able to influence the inclusion of customer requirements in the Linux kernel.Now the same thing seems to be happening in OpenStack.Red Hat Gets Behind OpenStackWhile OpenStack was once controlled almost exclusively by its founder, Rackspace, today Red Hat has taken the lead on contributions to OpenStack:Source: OpenStack (Data compiled by Bitergia)Again, Red Hat’s contributions double those of the next two largest contributors, Rackspace and IBM. Again, Red Hat’s contributions put it in the pole position to profit from an open-source project.Particularly OpenStack, which has been criticized as being long on community and short on actual deployments. Red Hat isn’t particularly concerned with winning popularity contests. As a public company, it needs real customers paying real money for real OpenStack deployments. As such, it has released RDO, Red Hat’s community distribution of OpenStack (similar to Red Hat’s Fedora project for Linux), and this week Red Hat announced the availability of the Red Hat OpenStack Early Adopter Program, which provides early access to its enterprise-grade distribution of OpenStack, similar to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).It’s not hard to imagine Red Hat’s customer base extending their RHEL, JBoss, and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV) deployments to the cloud with Red Hat OpenStack.Just What OpenStack Needed?After all, this is the playbook Red Hat perfected with RHEL and has put to use selling middleware, virtualization, and now cloud. While Red Hat’s involvement offers no guarantee of success, when Red Hat sticks to markets it knows – enterprise infrastructure – using a business model that fits – enterprise hardening of community code – its success rate is pretty impressive. With $35.5 billion at stake in the cloud market, according to recent Gartner projections, making OpenStack work is a big deal.Since shifting into a true community project, OpenStack has steadily attracted new, active contributors, Red Hat chief among them. The next phase involves making OpenStack safe for the enterprise. Arguably no company has more success turning open source into a safe investment for CIOs than Red Hat. As such, Red Hat being number one in OpenStack contributions may go a long way toward making OpenStack number one with CIOs.Image courtesy of Shutterstock. Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting How Intelligent Data Addresses the Chasm in Cloud Matt Asay Tags:#Open Source#OpenStack#Red Hat center_img Serverless Backups: Viable Data Protection for … Related Posts Cloud Hosting for WordPress: Why Everyone is Mo…last_img read more

Continue Reading

MOLs Tugboat Marks 1st Bunkering of LNG in Kansai

first_imgJapanese shipping company Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL) said that its LNG-fueled tugboat Ishin bunkered LNG fuel in Sakai Senboku Port for the first time, in preparation for test operation.As informed, this is the first bunkering of LNG as a vessel fuel at any port in the Kansai region.The LNG fuel was supplied by Osaka Gas, using a truck-to-ship LNG bunkering procedure. After test sailing with LNG fuel, the Ishin is slated for delivery in late February and will start operation in April as the first LNG-fueled tugboat serving Osaka Bay.Ordered from Kanagawa Dockyard in 2018, Ishin will be operated by Nihon Tug-Boat. The LNG-fueled tugboat will escort large-scale freighters in Osaka Bay and the Seto Inland Sea.Image Courtesy: MOLThe 250-ton vessel features a length of 43.6 meters and a width of 9.2 meters and can reach a speed of 16 knots or higher.It is equipped with dual fuel engines allowing high-speed operation and superior environmental performance.Working closely with the Osaka Prefecture Port and Harbor Bureau and Osaka Gas, MOL has worked to develop an LNG fuel supply system for ships in Sakai Senboku Port, which will be the first in Osaka Bay, by developing Ishin.MOL established a bunker business office to accelerate its initiatives on LNG and other alternative vessel fuels and is entering the business of supplying LNG and other fuels.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Fate of Alberta triplemurder suspect to be placed in hands of the

first_imgLETHBRIDGE, Alta. – The fate of an man charged with killing a father, his toddler and a senior in southwestern Alberta is expected to be handed over to a jury today.Derek Saretzky, 24, is facing three counts of first-degree murder in the September 2015 deaths of Terry Blanchette, his two-year-old daughter Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette and 69-year-old Hanne Meketech five days earlier.Saretzky is also charged with committing an indignity to Hailey’s body. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.Justice William Tilleman will give the jury his final instructions before they are sequestered until they reach a verdict in the case.The killings all occurred in the small close-knit region known as the Crowsnest Pass in southwestern Alberta.The court heard videotaped confessions from Saretzky who told police he killed Meketech — a friend of his grandparents — on the spur of the moment and because he “didn’t think anybody cared about her.”Court heard Saretzky kicked in the door of her mobile home in the community of Coleman and bludgeoned her to death before stabbing her in the throat.A similar scenario played out five days later at Blanchette’s home in Blairmore.Blanchette was beaten with a baseball bat before his throat was cut and his little girl was taken from her crib.Saretzky told police he took the toddler to a campsite, partially owned by a family member, where he choked her to death, cannibalized and dismembered her before throwing her remains in a firepit.In her closing argument Monday, Crown prosecutor Photini Papadatou told the jury Saretzky’s confessions included details only the killer would know, such as what happened to Hailey and how Meketech died.“How can you be satisfied that this man, Derek Saretzky, killed each of these people?” Papadatou said. “One, he told you that he did it.”Saretzky’s lawyer reminded the jury members his client is innocent until proven guilty and the prosecution has to prove every aspect of the case.“It’s the Crown’s job not only to prove the accused did the crime they’re accused of but also all elements of the offences,” Patrick Edgerton said.— Follow @BillGraveland on Twitterlast_img read more

Continue Reading