Journalist gunned down in San Pablo City

first_imgNews August 22, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist gunned down in San Pablo City PhilippinesAsia – Pacific to go further Organisation News Reporters Without Borders (Reporters Sans Frontières) today protested the murder earlier in the day of TV presenter and magazine editor Sonny Alcantara, who was killed by a bullet to the head in San Pablo City (80 kilometers south of Manila) in a continuing climate of impunity for those who attack journalists. Persons close to the victim said he had felt under threat because of articles criticising the city’s former mayor.”Sonny Alcantara is the third Philippine journalist to be murdered since the beginning of 2002″, Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said in a letter to Interior Minister José D. Lina. “The predators of press freedom act with such impunity in certain regions of the Philippines that they show no inhibitions about attacking those who dare to denounce their crimes and corruption”, Ménard said.Referring to the investigations into the murders of journalists Benjaline Hernandez and Edgar Damalerio, which are blocked despite abundant evidence implicating military and police personnel, the letter urged the minister to intervene in order to ensure that both those behind this latest killing and those who carried it out are identified. It also asked that Reporters Without Borders be kept informed of the progress of the police enquiry.Alcantara was the editor of the local bimonthly newspaper Kokus and presented a political affairs programme called “Quo Vadis San Pablo” on the private cable TV channel Celestron Cable. He was killed as he was leaving his home in the morning of 22 August. According to a San Pablo journalist questioned by Reporters Without Borders, an unidentified person called out to Alcantara as he was leaving his home, then pulled out a pistol and shot him in the head at point-blank range. Alcantara died on the spot while the assailant made off.The shooting was witnessed by several persons who have so far refused to testify publicly for fear of reprisals. The police have opened an enquiry under the authority of the San Pablo City chief of police, Colonel Ernesto Cuison.According to his widow, Alcantara had been receiving threats by telephone and letter for the past several weeks. In both his magazine and his TV programme, he had regularly criticised the municipal opposition, especially former mayor Vicente Amante, a very influential businessman in the region who is reputedly close to certain criminal organisations. A person close to Alcantara voiced the suspicion to Reporters Without Borders that Amante could have been behind this killing. At least 15 people have been murdered in San Pablo City since the start of 2000. Follow the news on Philippines Help by sharing this information News RSF_en May 3, 2021 Find out more Filipina journalist still held although court dismissed case eleven days ago News June 1, 2021 Find out more PhilippinesAsia – Pacific Mass international solidarity campaign launched in support of Maria Ressa Philippines: RSF and the #HoldTheLine Coalition welcome reprieve for Maria Ressa, demand all other charges and cases be dropped Sonny Alcantara, presenter of a local TV and publisher, is the thirdjournalist killed in the Philippines since the beginning of 2002.Persons close to the journalist said the former mayor of San Pablocity could have been behind this killing. Receive email alerts February 16, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Continue Reading

An Indian dance performance at Ed Portal

first_img“A Hundred Moons,” an Indian classical dance performance by Neha Bansal, was presented to a sold-out audience at the Harvard Ed Portal on Oct. 30.Bansal, a graduate student at the Harvard Kennedy School, shared her love of dance with the Ed Portal community. At the start of the program, the audience was encouraged to find their inner sound and rhythm within an active and noisy world.The performance was held close to the night of Diwali, a Hindu festival of lights, and focused on the love story of deities Krishna and Radha. Bansal’s delicate hand gestures and movements helped paint a picture of their relationship. The accompanying music was also composed by Bansal.“A Hundred Moons”  is just one among a variety of events that Harvard offers at the Ed Portal — as well as across Harvard’s campus and throughout the community. For more information about the Ed Portal, or to learn about upcoming events and programs, please visit its website.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Moyes issues challenge to players

first_img It means he must now trust his present squad to haul themselves out of the hole they have dug for themselves with so many tepid performances this term, particularly on home soil. And, in his programme notes ahead of Tuesday’s encounter with Cardiff, Moyes has made it perfectly clear what should be driving United on. “I do believe now that we are playing for the Manchester United jersey and for pride in where we are,” Moyes told United Review. “There is still a long way to go this season and by the end of it we have to have shown we are much better than many people are making us out to be. “On the training ground and in the dressing room I see determined and committed players who are desperate to put things right.” Moyes revealed he had been made aware when he succeeded Sir Alex Ferguson last summer changes would be required, even if the scale of the task has caught many observers by surprise given United romped to the Premier League title by 11 points last term. Moyes added: “When I joined the club, I joined knowing I was taking over a great squad who had just finished the season as champions, but I was also made very much aware that there would have to be changes made. “Namely… a long-term plan and also looking within our own academy to introduce young players to the first team as often as we feel they warrant selection.” Press Association Manchester United manager David Moyes has challenged his players to prove their critics wrong.center_img Moyes started his Old Trafford rebuilding job by smashing United’s transfer record to bring Juan Mata to the club from Chelsea. That £37.1million outlay is destined to be the last bit of significant business Moyes does in the current transfer window unless the Scot is given some unexpected encouragement with any of his other targets. last_img read more

Continue Reading