FOTOKITA/iStock(NEW YORK) — A suspect has been arrested in the kidnapping and killing of 13-year-old Hania Noelia Aguilar, who was snatched from her front yard in North Carolina last month, authorities announced Saturday.The FBI and the Lumberton Police Department arrested 34-year-old Michael Ray McLellan in connection with the case. He was already being held in law enforcement custody on unrelated charges at the time of his arrest.McLellan has been charged with 10 felonies relating to Hania’s killing: first-degree murder, first-degree forcible rape, statutory rape, first-degree sexual offense, statutory sexual offense, first-degree kidnapping, larceny, restraint, abduction of a child and concealment of death, according to a press release from the FBI.McLellan was being held without bond at Robeson County Detention Center, where he appeared before a state magistrate early Saturday morning.He is scheduled to appear in court Monday morning, according to the FBI.The investigation is ongoing and additional charges could be filed. Final autopsy and toxicology reports are not yet complete, the FBI said. Hania was kidnapped just before 7 a.m. local time on Nov. 5 outside her home at the Rosewood Mobile Home Park in Lumberton, a city in Robeson County, according to police. She had grabbed her aunt’s car keys that morning so she could turn on the vehicle before school. That’s when a witness saw a man clad in all black with a yellow bandanna over his face approach the girl and force her into the green, 2003 Ford Expedition, police said.The suspect then drove away in the family’s SUV with Hania inside, police said. The stolen vehicle was located several miles away on Quincey Drive three days later, but Hania was nowhere to be found. Authorities canvassed the neighborhood, going door-to-door, and scoured through surveillance footage from nearby homes and businesses, hoping to piece together what happened to Hania.The FBI named her disappearance its “Most Wanted: Case of the Week.” After weeks of searching, authorities discovered Hania’s body in a lake in Robeson County on Nov. 27, about 10 miles south from her home.Lumberton Police Chief Michael McNeill said he was “devastated” to make the “heart-wrenching” announcement.“I wish we had a different outcome for Hania’s family,” he told reporters at a press conference the following day.Hania was an 8th-grade student at Lumberton Jr. High School. She is survived by her mother, father and two sisters, according to an online obituary.A funeral service will be held at Lumberton Senior High School on Saturday afternoon before she is laid to rest in Meadowbrook Cemetery.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Screen favorite and Broadway alum Steve Guttenberg is heading to the park this summer for a small dose of Shakespeare. According to Time Out New York, he’ll appear in the Hudson Warehouse production of Henry IV, Part 1 as Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland. Performances will run on Thursdays through Sundays from June 4 through June 28 at the Upper West Side’s Riverside Park. Nicholas Martin-Smith will direct.Guttenberg’s film career includes memorable performances in the Police Academy series, 3 Men and a Baby, Diner, Short Circuit and Cocoon. He has also appeared on Broadway in Relatively Speaking and Prelude to a Kiss and in the West End in The Boys Next Door.Further casting for the Hudson Warehouse production will be announced later. Of course, Riverside Park won’t be the only place you’ll be able to catch a screen favorite reciting the bard. The Public’s Shakespeare in the Park lineup this year includes Sam Waterston and Jesse Tyler Ferguson in The Tempest and Hamish Linklater and Lily Rabe in Cymbeline. View Comments
Broadway.com recently caught up with Rajiv Surendra, aka Kevin Gnapoor from the Mean Girls film, about the highly anticipated stage adaptation of the hit 2004 film.“I have heard about it, I’m very excited for it,” Surendra told us at Bette Midler’s annual Hulaween event, which he was attending to promote his new book. “I heard there was a rumor about a song about the word ‘Fetch’ and I really hope that rumor is true.” He continued: “I can’t wait to see it, I can’t wait to see who plays me!”When asked if he would ever be interested in joining the project, Surendra said he would politely step aside for new talent.“I also heard another rumor that Tina wanted to cast original people in the roles and I think that’s a really, really, good idea,” said the OG Kevin G. “ I think it’s an opportunity to have young, fresh faces that haven’t been seen or heard before come onto the stage and be the debut to their career.”P.S. His business cards are incredible. Rajiv Surendra in Mean Girls (Photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures) View Comments
Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, says he is determined to have 100 per cent of primary-level students matriculating into secondary schools for a full five-year course of study.Speaking to students from Wolmer’s Boys’ and Girls’ schools in Kingston during their devotion on September 25, the Minister said Jamaica is only one per cent away from achieving this target.“For many years, over 70 per cent of students in Jamaica did not have access to education beyond grade nine. This year marks the first time in our history that we were able to place 99 per cent of our cohort into a full five-year high-school programme. Next year, hopefully, we’ll be able to place the full 100,” Senator Reid said.“The message I share is about opportunity for all. There was a view that education was elitist. Today, the society is not going to be productive if only some have and the majority don’t have. We want a society where everyone gets equal opportunity for self-development and self-determination, aspiration for goodness and their own sense of self-worth and achievement,” the Minister added.Senator Reid said he believes achieving the goal of getting 100 per cent of students enrolled at the secondary level up to fifth form and placed in a full five-year course of study will benefit the society in a major way in the long run.“Currently, when you look on our workforce of 1.3 million persons, 15 per cent have tertiary education and training, 18 per cent have what we call technical certification from HEART Trust/National Training Agency (HEART/NTA) and City and Guilds, and then 67 per cent did not complete secondary education or any training – almost 800,000 Jamaicans,” he said.The Minister said that through programmes being offered by the Government, such as Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and the Programme of Advancement Through Health and Education (PATH), along with programmes from other organisations, the one per cent of students who were not placed in a full five-year course of study at the secondary level, can be reached.“We have been pushing science, technology, engineering [and] mathematics largely because the world economy has changed rapidly. We’re now in the fourth industrial revolution where technology is taking over, and a lot of what we will do, how we’ll conduct business, produce goods and services, will be heavily impacted by technology,” he argued.“When we talk about STEM, it is because this is the new economy, and so your education, your training have to be aligned to what is happening in the new economy and for the future. We can’t turn it back. We have to embrace it, prepare for it [and] equip ourselves,” the Minister emphasised. Senator Reid said he believes achieving the goal of getting 100 per cent of students enrolled at the secondary level up to fifth form and placed in a full five-year course of study will benefit the society in a major way in the long run. Story Highlights “For many years, over 70 per cent of students in Jamaica did not have access to education beyond grade nine. This year marks the first time in our history that we were able to place 99 per cent of our cohort into a full five-year high-school programme. Next year, hopefully, we’ll be able to place the full 100,” Senator Reid said. Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, says he is determined to have 100 per cent of primary-level students matriculating into secondary schools for a full five-year course of study.
VANCOUVER – New evacuation orders have been issued for parts of north-central British Columbia being battered by wildfires, while residents of the region hope for more wind to clear out the smoke.The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako issued new or expanded evacuation orders for three remote areas on Saturday, bringing the total number of evacuation orders in the region to nine — the most in B.C.Wildfires burning near the Nadina, Shovel and Tesla lakes in the Bulkley-Nechako region are the largest in the province, and have grown to more than 1,600 square kilometres combined.Smoke from wildfires across B.C. has prompted air quality advisories for much of Western Canada, although Environment Canada had dropped Prince George, B.C., from “Very High” to “Moderate Risk” as of Saturday afternoon.Verne Thom of nearby Fort Saint James, B.C., said he saw blue skies on Saturday morning during his two-hour drive to Prince George — a stark contrast to the blanketing black smoke that filled the air on Friday.Speaking from the side of the highway, Thom said it looked like twilight early Friday morning.Meanwhile, thousands of kilometres to the southeast, many residents of Kimberley, B.C., have been on an evacuation alert since Thursday as smoke continues to descend on the East Kootenay region.Sanford Brown with the Emergency Operations Centre in Cranbrook, about thirty minutes south of Kimberley, said he’s seen the community act quickly to prepare themselves for the worst.Brown said residents in any area under evacuation alerts or orders need to take it upon themselves to be prepared, making sure they’re getting correct information from trusted sources and are ready to leave immediately.“Don’t let your guard down, don’t think it couldn’t change, and the more you’re prepared, the less anxious you’ll be,” he said.“We’ve had 87 people register into the reception centre, and we’ve had a really good response form the community supporting those people with offers of help and resources,” Brown said over the phone from Cranbrook.Brown said while the wind activity that had fed the fires outside the city had calmed, the smoke was still heavy in that corner of the province.“It seems like there’s fires all around us, so if it’s not our fires smoking us out, its somebody else’s,” he said.The BC Wildfire Service’s Carlee Kachman said the agency had just received the results of an aerial reconnaissance of the fire threatening Kimberley, as winds from the north had pushed the fire in on itself.“We’re very pleased about that report,” said Kachman.— by Spencer Harwood in Vancouver