Did Brett Favre just compare 49ers Nick Mullens to Tom Brady?

first_imgCLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos on a mobile deviceNick Mullens’ triumphant debut still has people talking, specifically fellow Southern Miss product Brett Favre.“I’m not surprised one bit. The kid is legit and can make all the throw,” Favre said Monday on SiriusXM NFL radio.How legit is Mullens, who passed for 242 yards and three touchdowns in a 34-3 rout Thursday night against the Raiders? Favre went so far as to invoke a comparison to Tom Brady, if …last_img read more

Continue Reading

SA’s emergency power plan

first_img25 January 2008South Africa’s Cabinet emerged from a two-day meeting on Friday with a top priority plan to tackle the country’s “national electricity emergency”, saying it was confident that SA’s healthy economic growth could be sustained, and stressing that there would be no freezing of new investment projects.Speaking to journalists in Cape Town after the Cabinet meeting, Public Enterprises Minister Alec Erwin said the “unprecedented, unplanned” power outages that have hit South Africa over the last two weeks “must now be treated as a national electricity emergency that has to be addressed with the urgent, vigorous and co-ordinated actions commensurate with such an emergency situation.”Erwin conceded that the government had been caught wrong-footed by the increased demand for electricity spurred by the robust economic growth of recent years, saying its instruction to state company Eskom to embark on a massive infrastructure building programme in 2004 “was, in hindsight, late.”Eskom plans to invest R150-billion in its power supply infrastructure over the next five years, mostly on new power stations, including the return to service of three mothballed power stations.In addition, the government made moves towards the end of last year to fast-track electricity projects by independent power producers, as well as electricity co-generation projects involving both Eskom and private industry.“Both of these are now receiving urgent attention, and announcements will be made as we are able to provide certainty,” Erwin said.In the meantime, however, it was crucial to bring South Africa’s electricity supply and distribution system “back into balance”, both to reduce the need for power cuts and to allow for system maintenance to take place without putting the system under even greater stress.Key to this, Erwin said, was reducing demand. As an immediate, “quick hit” measure to achieve this, the government would soon introduce a power-rationing programme, setting quotas for industrial, commercial and residential users and using both incentives and penalties to ensure that these quotas are met.Minerals and Energy Minister Buyelwa Sonjica, briefing journalists alongside Erwin, said the examples of countries like Cuba and Brazil had shown that an energy crisis “can be turned around to make a country grow even more economically and save substantial amounts of money if a nationwide energy efficiency drive is politically driven.”Erwin said the government viewed the next two years as being critical.“We must stress that the successful implementation of these programmes will give us much more comfort within a two-year period,” Erwin said. “It is also critical to stress that the growth of South Africa’s economy at the current healthy levels can continue if we change our behaviour and become more energy efficient.“This emergency must entrench energy efficiency.”Erwin said that South African consumers, long used to getting their electricity extremely cheaply by international standards, would also have to face up to the reality of “further significant increases in electricity prices.“However, such increases will be implemented so as to significantly lessen their impact on the poor,” Erwin said, adding that despite the increases South Africa would still remain “the most competitive large energy system in the world”.Regarding the 2010 Fifa World Cup, Erwin said the Cabinet was fully briefed on the electricity situation “as it specifically relates to the World Cup and on general progress with the preparations for infrastructure for 2010. There is no threat to the successful holding of the event, as plans to ensure electricity security in that period are well advanced.”Other measures the government aims to implement in order to reduce South Africa’s demand for electricity include:Increasing the use of more efficient lighting, replacing incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light fittings.Increasing the use of of solar water heaters.Increasing the use of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LP Gas) for domestic cooking.Converting traffic and other public lights to solar power with battery backup.Introducing smart metering to enable Eskom, or municipal power distributors, to remotely manage residential customer load during times of peak demand.SAinfo reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Continue Reading

Tennis star Venus Williams allegedly ‘at fault’ in fatal car crash

first_imgLacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games The accident occurred on June 9 in Palm Beach Gardens, a small city north of Miami.The driver’s husband suffered a head injury and died two weeks later at the hospital, according to entertainment news site TMZ.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe winner of seven Grand Slam championships was not using her phone and had not taken drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash, police said. Miami, United States — Tennis star Venus Williams was allegedly “at fault” in a Florida traffic accident that resulted in the death of a 78-year-old man, according to a police report obtained Thursday by AFP.Williams, 37, slowed in the middle of an intersection when she was hit by a car driven by the man’s 68-year-old wife, the report said.ADVERTISEMENT Batang Gilas splits opening day matches, eyes top-two berth Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend MOST READ What ‘missteps’? Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Continue Reading