South Africa players against day-night Test during Australia tour

first_imgSouth Africa are reluctant to play a day-night Test during their tour of Australia as they have no experience with the pink ball, the Proteas’ players association chief has said.South Africa will tour Australia in a three-Test series in the home summer and Cricket Australia announced last year that they wanted one of the fixtures to be a day-night match.Australia hosted New Zealand in the first day-night Test in November and while the match drew huge crowds and big television audiences players on both sides complained that the ball was hard to see at times.The pink ball has been developed for day-night Test cricket, replacing the traditional red ball which becomes too difficult for batsmen to see after dark.”Our players are not in favour of playing the game under those conditions,” South African players’ association Chief Executive Tony Irish told The Australian newspaper.”The main reason is we feel disadvantaged. Not one of our players who will compete in that Test has played Test match cricket, or any cricket, with a pink ball.”The reluctance to play is a sign of how much importance the South African players place on the series against Australia,” Irish added.New Zealand players had similar misgivings about last year’s fixture in Adelaide but were given a A$1 million ($777,000) sweetener by Cricket Australia to commit.Organisers hailed the Test a success, despite Australia wrapping up victory in three days. Adelaide Tests are traditionally well supported by local fans and interstate visitors but the total attendance of 123,000 was a record in the city for a non-Ashes fixture.advertisementAustralia, who have also used the pink ball in domestic Sheffield Shield matches, host Pakistan in a three-test series in the coming home summer, with a match at Brisbane’s Gabba ground tipped to be played under lights.Cricket Australia will announce their summer schedule on Wednesday and declined to comment on South Africa’s reservations about the pink ball.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Sunny Mets Ace The Indians, 6-0

first_imgCLEVELAND — On a cloudless day, Indians centerfielder Rajai Davis looked up and couldn’t see a thing.Davis lost two routine flies in the sun during a three-run second inning that helped the New York Mets roll to a 6-0 win on April 17 and kept Cleveland starter Corey Kluber winless.Despite wearing sunglasses, Davis allowed Curtis Granderson’s two-out fly to drop about five feet from him onto the warning track in the second.Kluber then fielded Asdrubal Cabrera’s bunt toward the third-base line and threw wildly to first, scoring Granderson to put the Mets up 4-0.Michael Conforto’s followed with a grounder that hit first base and bounced past Mike Napoli, allowing Cabrera to score.Yoenis Cespedes lofted a fly ball to medium depth in center that fell several feet from Davis as Conforto scored to give the Mets a six-run lead against Kluber, who can’t seem to catch a break.“I’m sure that’s an awful feeling,” Indians Manager Terry Francona said. “You feel probably pretty naked.”Kluber (0-3) gave up six runs and nine hits in six innings, struck out eight and walked one. He is 9-19 since winning the 2014 AL Cy Young Award.“It was unfortunate that it had to turn out this way for him, but this is the game of baseball,” Davis said. “Sometimes we don’t have control over these things.”Mets left-hander Steven Matz allowed three hits in seven innings and the Indians struck out 15 times against four pitchers.Kluber’s problems in the first began with a leadoff walk to Granderson.“He’s pitching out of the stretch right off the get-go,” Francona said. “He got hurt with his fastball early. In the second inning, he’s got a chance for an easy inning, two outs, get the fly ball and turn it into three more. That hurt a lot.”Davis wasn’t the only Indians player to have problems with the sun. Catcher Yan Gomes lost Cespedes’ foul pop in the first, which was originally called an error but changed to a no play. Cespedes then struck out.Matz (1-1) struck out out a career high nine in bouncing back from his first career loss. The 24-year-old left-hander allowed seven in 1 2/3 innings against Miami last Monday.“He showed what he can do when he commands his pitches,” Mets Manager Terry Collins said. “He was outstanding.”(HAYDEN GROVE) TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

Continue Reading